Selasa, 10 Februari 2015

Hackers

One of my computers began acting differently about a year ago, nothing extraordinary but since it was a work computer I knew it like clockwork and something didn't feel right.

After getting a clean bill of health from all of the major anti-virus scanners and passing various tests I still felt like the computer wasn't right and so I tried some more extreme measures of finding problems and discovered a rootkit, namely a Sinowal virus.

As you know, these have stealth and re-infection capabilities and so cleaning it was difficult, formatting/replacing the hard drive isn't enough. Knowing what I was dealing with however, I managed to clean the system and that's when the phone calls started.

Within a week I received a call from a gentleman with a Russian accent claiming to be from Microsoft and wanting to help me clean the "many error messages we are receiving from your computer". Knowing that Microsoft would not hire a 3rd party company and reveal any of my information to them I politely declined.

Since then I receive about a call per month, though now from a call center somewhere in India, making the same claim. I no longer own the computer, it was dismantled and junked 4 months ago but since they don't know that they keep calling.

I don't know if they want to re-infect the computer or help erase any sign of their virus but the fact that they are using call centers to contact me leads me to believe this was/is a widespread problem so I figured I'd share this story.

- Microsoft will not call your home claiming to be receiving errors!

If you get a random call from someone claiming to work for Microsoft, don't reveal anything more than what is available in the phone book about yourself!

P.S. I know I'm not being randomly targeted by a con-artist trying to peddle security software because the callers have each mentioned something they would only have known if they had access to the computer at one time.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar